(6) Can you explain Hebrews 8:13 please?

Heavenly greetings to you,

May this response reach you in good health.

Hebrews chapter 8 is essentially talking about Christ's eternal priesthood. In that particular 13th verse, the word of God mentions "a new covenant." But to fully understand this new covenant we have to know the old covenant.

Turn your attention to verse 7 where the first mention of the "first" or old covenant is made. In this verse the reason for making the "second" or new covenant was made.

Now jump to verse 9:

"... in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt."

Where is God pointing us at this time? The exodus from Egypt and the giving of the Ten Commandment at the Mt. Sinai in Arabia. But before this in Exodus chapter 19 verse 8, the Israelite stated:

"All that the LORD hath spoken WE will do."

Indeed the Lord said in verse 5:

"If ye will obey my voice indeed, AND KEEP MY COVENANT, then ye..."

The only recorded event in the bible where the whole congregation of Israel
heard God talk with Moses was when He gave the Ten Commandments.

Dont forget, this is the first covenant, that they "will do all that the LORD HATH SPOKEN." -chapter 19, verse 8. The contents of this covenant were the 10 Commandments.

Now, quickly turn back to the book of Hebrews.

Hebrews 8:9-10
(9) Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
(10) For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

This is the second covenant, that "he" would cause us to keep his laws, because when they said they would do it, they failed miserably.

Respect,
Che (Siki) Plang
A member of the Adventist Defense League